RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, VTP, STP.
clhamon

Resetting HSRP Priority after it has been Decremented

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:30 am

I am trying to find an easy way of moving the HSRP back to the primary router if the HSRP priority on the primary router has been decremented by the "standby track" command and the interface going down. I would think that there would be a command to reset the priority back to the configured priority, but I have not found it.

I haven't been able to find any information on this yet, so any information is appreciated. A link would be great too. Thanks!

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Re: Resetting HSRP Priority after it has been Decremented

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:44 am

If the tracked object becomes active or up again, priority will increase again as well. You will need the 'preempt' command to do an automatic failover however.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

clhamon

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:02 am

That's not the behavior that I've seen or expect. I thought that one of the purposes of the decrement command was to detect if a link was flapping and keep traffic off of that router. Was that a different FHRP?

Here is the config that I'm using (with some information left out):
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
standby 1 ip xx.xx.xx.xx
standby 1 priority 110
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 track 10 decrement 11

The gi0/1.1 interface is up and the priority is 99.

I was not the one that configured this. I haven't even seen the way the last command is formed before. The 11 is obviously the values that the priority decrements, and the 10 is the "Tracked object number." I'm not sure what that exactly means.

clhamon

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:23 am

I just found out how to fine information on "tracked object number" 10.
Router# show track

It looks like they set up a track, which I haven't worked with yet, so that they can use an IP route instead of an interface. I thought it was just monitoring the gi0/1.1 interface. I'm still not sure why the HRSP priority is at 99 because the route is in the routing table and working.

Thanks for the help. If I figure out the issue, I'll be sure to post it. Thanks for the help!

clhamon

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:47 am

The VPN that that router was using to get that route was down

That explains a lot. I was confused because I didn't see a command specifying that it tracks a different interface. The route wasn't working, so the track was down and that's what caused HSRP to move to the backup router. I never worked with a track before until now.

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:49 am

Quite the config you have there. Usually we just bind the track to an IP SLA that pings a next hop here.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 am

Reggle wrote:Quite the config you have there. Usually we just bind the track to an IP SLA that pings a next hop here.

This is the way I've done it as well.
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

clhamon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 am

I had no say in how it's set up. Hopefully I'll get to that level soon.

I haven't worked with an IP SLA yet either. I'm researching more about that now. Thanks for the tip!

Return to Cisco Routing and Switching