Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Re: Scheduling testing date..

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:59 pm

HighFreak1c wrote:she's even interested in what I do.

Key Point here....why I didn't marry somebody in the IT field I'll never know....she even blasphemes against "All this techno crap around the house" it's so cute sometimes :lol:
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 pm

hehe!!

My best friend and I share the same obsession with networking and both our wives HATE when we get together and start talking "tech".

To get around this we meet up once or twice a month, smoke cigars, drink and talk tech for 3 - 4 hours. I dig the shit out of it!
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

ZiPPy
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 pm

that1guy15 wrote:hehe!!

My best friend and I share the same obsession with networking and both our wives HATE when we get together and start talking "tech".

To get around this we meet up once or twice a month, smoke cigars, drink and talk tech for 3 - 4 hours. I dig the shit out of it!

I love meeting up with friends and kicking back and talking tech. I tell you mate, all the girls are the exact same, same genetics. They hate when we start throwing out tech terms, or maybe they hate the smile it puts on our faces. :lol: Good stuff!

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 pm

ZiPPy wrote:I'm in the same boat as you all, the only difference is I get the yelling from the girlfriend. So I guess it's going to get worse ...greeeat! I always hear it on the weekends "the gear is more important, the books are better than me, we never go out because you're in that lab of yours blah blah..." And the times I do end up going out, I start to think how this time could of been spent studying and labbing.

The journey to certifications has many obstacles, some of which aren't even from Cisco! Battle through gentleman!

no it ain't gonna get any better, with out support, you may want to review where that relationship is going. it don't sound good,

maybe you are a cert addict, you might want to try CA, Certifications Anonymous

seriously, with any relationship it give and take. just set your rules for study and sex and follow them.

ZiPPy
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 pm

ristau5741 wrote:
ZiPPy wrote:I'm in the same boat as you all, the only difference is I get the yelling from the girlfriend. So I guess it's going to get worse ...greeeat! I always hear it on the weekends "the gear is more important, the books are better than me, we never go out because you're in that lab of yours blah blah..." And the times I do end up going out, I start to think how this time could of been spent studying and labbing.

The journey to certifications has many obstacles, some of which aren't even from Cisco! Battle through gentleman!

no it ain't gonna get any better, with out support, you may want to review where that relationship is going. it don't sound good,

maybe you are a cert addict, you might want to try CA, Certifications Anonymous

seriously, with any relationship it give and take. just set your rules for study and sex and follow them.

It's not that bad. I'm making it sound worse than it is, but I do agree on setting rules.

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 pm

You know my wife calls my home network/Lab my "Second Family" :)
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

titaniumpower
Certs:
A+, Network+

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 pm

My wife is pretty supporting when it comes to me studying for my certification exams. The one problem I do run into with her is that she just doesn't understand just because I work in IT I dont know how to solve EVERY problem. Its just makes me laugh when she gets frustrated when a website isnt working and expects me to fix it when in fact its not anything wrong with the network. (there website was down for maintenance).

launchpad
Certs:
MCSA/MCSE/MCITP/CCNA/IIUWNE

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Schedule the test as soon as you think you are ready. A week is good to get your last minute studying in. I have learned if you don’t schedule a date you will push it off and push it off. Make a date and study for that time. You will study more and efficiently due to the fact you have a date to shoot for otherwise procrastination becomes the norm...

student01
Certs:
CCNA, ITIL v3 F

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

HighFreak1c wrote:
scottsee wrote:My wife yelled at me tonight about not doing anything but reading and "playing" on my equipment.. Kinda pissed me off

She just doesn't like the fact your attention is divided. I say stab her.

on a positive note now i have found people in a similar situation as myself i have found alot of my working day browsing these forums.

on a negative note, i just read the above and had to explain why i thought it was acceptable to spit tea all over my monitor.

my wife actually encouraged me to do ccna and would have me studying 23 hours a day if she could. her argument is, the more you do , the quicker you can do your exam, get a job and not have to get up at 3am to go to work.

occasionally when i do well she calls me a cure little geek. im really not sure how to take this remark......

dude_
Certs:
CCNP

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 am

mellowd wrote:
killabee wrote:
mellowd wrote:I actually read through the material quickly first and gauge how long it's going to take me. If I think 3 months, I book it for 3 months away. This gives me a date to work towards. I never change that date once booked

Do you use that as a method to motivate/force you to finish on time or it's just your style?

Just the way I've always done it. I've got a bad habit of procrastinating if I have no deadlines.

+1
I can pick up more as well under time pressure

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:20 am

student01 wrote:her argument is, the more you do , the quicker you can do your exam, get a job and not have to get up at 3am to go to work.

You realise that in IT you're pretty much always required to work awful hours?

student01
Certs:
CCNA, ITIL v3 F

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:38 am

i am fully aware of this! however she isnt, and what she dont know wont hurt her! , for now.....

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Is there such a thing as over studying for an exam? Every time I want to go on Pearson Vue and look at testing dates I get nerves and second guess my self. I know I'm ready for the ICND1 and have been for over a month but I can't seem to get passed the "what if" jitters..

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:02 pm

scottsee wrote:Is there such a thing as over studying for an exam? Every time I want to go on Pearson Vue and look at testing dates I get nerves and second guess my self. I know I'm ready for the ICND1 and have been for over a month but I can't seem to get passed the "what if" jitters..

Every single time for me. I'm just a worrier. It's great for a guaranteed ulcer.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

swagger
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Sec

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Yeah man... I'm sure it happens to almost everyone. Just go for it!

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:50 pm

just schedule it, it'll make a good practice test, and you'll get to experience the testing environment, and get a gauge of how well you did and what your weak areas are. it's only at the cost of a few cases of beer, you'd more then likely spend that after the pass. so hit the test.

swagger
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Sec

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:54 pm

I wouldnt even go in with that approach... "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." Just go pass it.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:20 pm

I get nervous scheduling or even thinking about an upcoming exam. On exam day, my blood pressure is way up, I sometime get headaches and sweat like a bastard. And all that is even if I know the material well. :)

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:28 pm

I always get nervous. I overstudy most of the time. Rather too much than just enough

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

I say schedule it Scott. You know the material and will do fine.

PreviousNext

Return to scottsee's CCNA Journey