All Juniper related discussions.
ph0enix
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

JNCIA-Junos Exam Study Material

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I am planning to delve into Juniper world, the result of my resreach says that JNCIA-Junos is a must for those who want to enter the Juniper field and fortunately the resources are amazingly open and available.

My issue is finding an official book, a book that is authorized or at best released by Juniper that cover the exam topics.

Juniper has like an official guide https://learningportal.juniper.net/juni ... _home.aspx that are available for free:

[list=]JNCIA-Junos Study Guide—Part 1
JNCIA-Junos Study Guide—Part 2 [/list]

On the other hand, on Juniper forums, I found many saying that this one is the official study guide (and the title says so):
JUNOS Fundamentals: The Official Study Guide for JNCIA Certification and Junos Administration: http://www.amazon.com/JUNOS-Fundamental ... 416&sr=8-1

Should I go with Part 1 and Part 2 from Juniper or just get the O'Reilly?

UPDATE: Gosh, or this JUNOS OS For Dummies http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/j ... os_fd.html
"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ~Unknown

daniele

Re: JNCIA-Junos Exam Study Material

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi ph0enix,

I'd say read the Juniper free material and get some experience with the JunOS CLI - that's quite important as many questions are about it!

Do you have access to a JunOS device?
Contributor at www.RouterFreak.com

ph0enix
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:37 pm

daniele wrote:Hi ph0enix,

I'd say read the Juniper free material and get some experience with the JunOS CLI - that's quite important as many questions are about it!

Do you have access to a JunOS device?

Actually no, or not at the moment. I've been reading about Olive with GNS3 and I will start to try it out but I need to settle the book thing then start.

In addition to the free material, what do you think of JunOS for Dummies, 2nd edition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

daniele

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I haven't read it myself... but I stress that hands-on experience will help you big time :)

ph0enix
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

JNCIA-Junos Exam Study Material

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:54 pm

daniele wrote:I haven't read it myself... but I stress that hands-on experience will help you big time :)

I will contact Juniper for a permission to print both parts for myself to read and practice for the exam.

I think it's going to be a wonderful and exiting journey ;)

Thanks for your time daniele :)

daniele

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:31 pm

My pleasure, enjoy the ride and let us know please!

ph0enix
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:02 pm

daniele wrote:My pleasure, enjoy the ride and let us know please!

Absolutely, will be talking about JunOS a lot I think. So excited for this journey and very motivated :)

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:27 pm

I just registered at the site and downloaded the guides for the basic test and the entry-level security test.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm

yeah their fast track is really good. A guy I used to work with spent a day looking over the fast track for that firewall exam and passed it the next day.... he did work with SRX's every day but just a fyi the entry level tests are easy. They are generally on the technology and not how to it at the cli level.
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Reading the switch PDF now... this is good stuff for the CCNA, as well. I'm going to start recommending it to folks new to the field.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

ph0enix
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

deanwebb wrote:Reading the switch PDF now... this is good stuff for the CCNA, as well. I'm going to start recommending it to folks new to the field.

Great news.

daniele

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 am

deanwebb wrote:Reading the switch PDF now... this is good stuff for the CCNA, as well. I'm going to start recommending it to folks new to the field.

Good to know... Juniper material for CCNA preparation :)
Along those lines, I remember years ago when I got a Huawai 3-days training that was exactly like CCNA... but for free!

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 am

Just be careful with the CLI stuff. Juniper is different from Cisco. Not by much, but enough to notice. It's interesting to me that, as I read the JunOS commands, I translate them back into IOS in my mind.

daniele

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 am

Hey guys,

If you're preparing the JNCIS-Junos check out the new Junos Genius app, it's quite useful!
http://www.routerfreak.com/junos-genius ... fications/

It's an app for iPhone & Android with more than 200 flashcards - very nice practice!

Retired Account
Post Whore

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm

deanwebb wrote:Just be careful with the CLI stuff. Juniper is different from Cisco. Not by much, but enough to notice. It's interesting to me that, as I read the JunOS commands, I translate them back into IOS in my mind.

Not by much? Are you kidding? It's very different.

Anyway, I just checked out this thread because I passed the JNCIS-ENT after a class last week - now I need the JNCIA to actually make it active. :P

It's funny - the JNCIS was, for the most part, general networking knowledge (Don't get me wrong, alot of very juniper specific stuff), but the JNCIA seems exclusively Juniper CLI-oriented.. so I'm actually thinking it's going to be harder than the JNCIS.

Good info here. Is getting an Olive sufficient or should I try to sweet-talk our RE into letting me borrow an EX or something for a while?

Retired Account
Post Whore

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 pm

daniele wrote:Hey guys,

If you're preparing the JNCIS-Junos check out the new Junos Genius app, it's quite useful!
http://www.routerfreak.com/junos-genius ... fications/

It's an app for iPhone & Android with more than 200 flashcards - very nice practice!

Looks like it's recommended on Juniper's cert site as well! I'll check it out, thanks.

Ironman401
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Security, JNCIA

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Hey Steve, just a side question. I am in the opposite boat of you. I passed my JNCIA-JUNOS about a year and a half ago. I would like to take the JNCIS-ENT. What study material did you use for the cert?
"You know, it's moments like these when I realize how much of a superhero I am." -Ironman

Retired Account
Post Whore

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Ironman401 wrote:Hey Steve, just a side question. I am in the opposite boat of you. I passed my JNCIA-JUNOS about a year and a half ago. I would like to take the JNCIS-ENT. What study material did you use for the cert?

Just luck mostly. I wasn't planning on getting any Juniper certs at all as I was working on the CCIE, but we were given a week-long class and a free proctored exam at the end of it right on-site so I couldn't pass it up. Having CCNP-level knowledge helped alot and the class helped fill the gaps.

I'm probably not the best person to ask when it comes to traditional self-study methods regarding this.

Retired Account
Post Whore

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:50 pm

For JNCIA, if you haven't checked it out already, I just finished the Network Fundamentals web-based training available at the Fast Track portal and I was really impressed and actually had fun with it. Highly recommend it if you haven't done it already.

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:31 am

The Juniper fasttrack and day one books are excellent for this sort of thing

Next

Return to Juniper Networking