All home networking related discussions.
TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Weird Wireless problem (maybe)

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:05 am

I am having a problem with one of the computers on my network. I noticed a while back while trying "net sends" from various computers that when trying to "net send" to my laptop, it would not go through. If I net send from the laptop to my other domain computers, it works fine. Weird, but I accepted this, as net sends are not high priority for me, just an added convienence.

Yesterday I was attempting to roll out an antivirus client to my laptop from my server. It would not roll out. All other computers worked fine, but I could not connect to my laptop. It recognized it as being in the domain, but that is about it. Next in my troubleshooting was the ping. I cannot ping my laptop (DNS is working correctly, but I tried with an IP address also). Did a release and renew on the laptop and doublechecked the IP address. Still nothing. Here's the kicker - ping FROM the laptop works fine to all other domain computers. I can access the network fine FROM the laptop. I also tried a wired link, and disabled the wireless.

Now it's starting to look like a problem that actually has nothing to do with the wireless portion of the network. What could I be overlooking that blocks incoming ICMP connections (among other things???)

TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:05 am

Never mind, I found that the windows firewall somehow got turned on. I think this will fix all of the problems I was having.

geko29
Ultimate Member

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:25 am

That would have been my first guess.... :)

TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:48 am

I don't know why I didn't check that first, but I know that I had turned it off before. Also, I didn't realize that windows firewall blocked ICMP packets (pings).

Another thing, does anyone know if there is a GPO setting that you can disable the firewall when connected to a certain domain.

ipaddict

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:11 am

As a UNIX guy, I'm embarrassed that I know this :roll:, but...

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections\Windows Firewall

TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:20 pm

Maybe one day I'll make the switch over to the other side....

Thanks, and I won't tell anyone that you told me! :wink:

ipaddict

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:34 pm

Heh... the money's probably better on the Wintendo side, but I feel sick everytime I have to cover for the guys "on the other side."

TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:52 pm

ipaddict wrote:...on the Wintendo side...

Nicely put!

I'll be more than happy to take some of that money. Where do I sign up???

Return to Home Networking