All home networking related discussions.
manmm

Wireless to wireless

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:07 am

Hello,
Here is my situation:
In my LAN I have a device that hosts a service that I want to be able to access from internet. So I set it to use a specific port, and open that port in my router.

In my home network I have an adls router and connected to it I have a wireless router, and I connect wireless from my laptop, and my device connects directly with a cable to the wireless router.

To open the port I accessed the 2nd router (not the adls modem/router) and it worked.

Now, I have another case:
I´m in a public Wi-Fi LAN and I need to connect this device (wireless divice, now) to it, and open the port for it.

My question is: can I use a second router and open the port in it, like I did in my house? if so, is there such a router that receives a wireless signal as well as sends it (because the first router sends a wireless signal, and my device is also wireless)?

I´m assuming that I won´t be able to connect to the first router and open the port, as it is a public Wi-Fi, and it´s not my router...

I´m no expert on this and english is my second language so I hope I made myself understood.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks

RoryRed

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:08 am

ok, let me get this straight.

On your home network you have your ADSL router and linksys router. On one of your home PCs you are running a service that you want to access from ... anywhere.

Internet - ADSL Router - Linksys Router - Home Server

So, evetually you want to do something do something like this
laptop - Wireless access point (coffee shop?) - Internet - ADSL Router - Linksys Router - Home Server

You've opened up the ports on the ADSL router and Linksys router. Do you have a static IP address or dynamic address? Is the IP address on your ADSL router a public IP address? What kind of service is it? Web? SMTP? POP3? Odds are good that if you are running on a standard service port the firewall/network you are coming from will not have any problems with it. If possible, you may want to move your service to port 80.. which nearly anyone will let you though to.

I would test your access by using a simple service... web service, to make sure you can get to it from outside your home. You may want to use a dynamic DNS service so you can "find" your home. Odds are good your IP address changes.

Return to Home Networking