All home networking related discussions.
mohit

Connect A Computer With An Existing Lan

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:19 am

I Hav a LAN setup at my office with 4 computers internetworked using a hub. One of them is server which has two NICs one for network and another for Internet.

ALL computers are running on Windows XP Pro.

Using ICS of windows XP we share Internet on other 3 computers.

Now the problem is i hav to connect a new PC running Windows XP. and as the length of cable is not long i can't connect thru hub.

i want to connect this new PC to the nearest computer(it has two NIC) which is conected to the LAN and using it ,i want to give the new PC file sharing access and internet access.
I dont want to spend any more money and hav a small cross cable which can reach to the nearest computer.

Is it possible.
If yes How.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:09 am

I'm not expert at Microsoft networking, but generally I'd advise against daisy chaining your network like that. Let the hub be a hub and find a way to cable that final computer to it.

How far is it from the final computer to the hub? If it's less than 300 ft, run a cable or hire somebody to do it.

Steve

geko29
Ultimate Member

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 pm

100' molded patch cables are $11. Shorter ones are even cheaper. Just get a new cable, it isn't worth the hassle of the hours you'll spend trying to get the multi-homed PC trick to do what you want.

Return to Home Networking