All home networking related discussions.
discotom

NOT an average home network

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:20 am

Abbey Network.png
Abbey Network.png (15.86 KiB) Viewed 3060 times

I have been asked to put a network into a monastery in the UK. My problem is that the monastery is located in a series of 3 connected old buildings with a crazy shape, multiple floors, thick walls & floors and old infrastructure.

There are common areas, individual rooms and work rooms. There is also a Church at the end where they need internet access to have interior cameras for security and broadcast purposes (2 inside and 1 at the exterior main entrance).

The incoming internet is 24Mb Broadband from TalkTalk. The router is a standard TalkTalk router with no model numbers visible. Fibre optic is not available in the area.

I have attached a rough network plan. All cabling is cat6.

One area of the building has no real internet or rather weak internet via a wi-fi point.

I am unsure about whether i should be running more cable into the Church or using wi-fi routers or whether I should be using Powerline hardware such as the Devolo dLAN 1200+ Wi-Fi powerline starter kit. I also imagine that the router should be upgraded but have no idea to what. Finally, they want a NAS but I have to buy one. I have drawn where i think it should be on the network but could do with model pointers.

Any pointers or information i can give to make things clearer??

In summary I could do with help on:

1. How would you get internet to the Church?
2. Any suggestions for network camera models (they want to broadcast liturgy from 2 of 3, but use all 3 for security purposes too)?
3. Any suggestions for affordable NAS of around 2TB?
4. Any suggestions on how to get internet to the other areas not connected?
5. Any suggestions on a router if need be?
6. Any suggestions on problems or improvements on current setup?

All switches are Netgear.

Thanks

Return to Home Networking