All home networking related discussions.
TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Running Cat5 in house...

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to terminate my cat5 cable in my house that I just bought. I want to run at least one drop to each room and a couple rooms may have two. I will also may have to run phone lines (I will use cat5 also). I plan to put the standard RJ45 wall jacks on the user side (computer side). My question is what should I use on the centrallized (switch/router) side? The RJ45 wall jacks are pretty expensive and if I have 15 drops (I really don't know exactly how many I will have yet) at almost $5 a pop for the RJ45 connectors on each side that is almost $75 just in connectors. I have a patch 16 port patch panel that I was going to use in my rack just to hard wire most of my switch and console ports up and then patch from the house to the patch panel. Whatever I do will have to make sense to the next owner of the house because I will probably end up selling at some point in time (several years from now). Any suggestions?

TravisT

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Cabling standards say to run it to a patch panel. From there you run patch cables to the switches/routers/firewalls/etc.

$5 seems expensive to me too... You'r just running 100Mb ethernet on cat5, yes? You don't need the best and greatest ends for that... Use cheaper ones.

wael

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:24 am

yes , as infinite says all u need is just to terminate to the patch panel , then run patch cables to the switch.

but take in cosideration to run the cables away from noise sources like power lines , air conditions and lights.

TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:45 am

Well essentially that's all it would be is a patch panel. I just can't find a "patch panel" that will mount in the wall. By putting female RJ45 connectors on both the computer side and centrallized side of the cable I run, I would basically have a patch panel in my server closet. Here is the link to what I currently have. If someone has something that will work better in mind, please let me know.

The finished product would look something like this:

One RJ45 Jack (see above) > CAT5e cable > RJ45 Jack (see above).

I know they make the home media centers that you install the box in the wall and buy modules to insert into it (router, switches, patch panels, etc). They look pretty nice, BUT you have to use their stuff inside of it. I already own a 24 port cisco switch, a wireless router and I'm running a server that is going to stay in the closet also. I have to have some way to connect the cables from the inside of the wall to the cisco switch. The way I mentioned above is the only thing I could come up with. I hope the way I explained this makes sense.....

ADM

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:54 am

Structured cabling is a very good idea but it is quite expensive to implement in nonbusiness environment. What I would do is to leave decent amount of slack on cables on "wiring closet" side and put male RJ45 on their end. This will be your "patch panel". Make sure that you mark them well so you do not have to play guesing games later. Do not pass on this. Of couse you will good need crimping tool and some sort of enclosure as "spaghetti" of 25 or so cables are not considered very pretty by non networkers.
Other important matter is EIA/TIA T568B standard. You will be making straight-trough cables. My advice is to start with male RJ45s in wiring closet. It is way easier to correct mistake by repunching wall jack then recrimping RJ45.
I think you have to bear the cost for plates and wall jack in rooms for reason to be explained by significant other. For phone wirirng try to find small punch block. You may find them and other supplies cheaper online then in home centers.
Please do not feel offended by my obvious remarks but I am speaking from experience.

ADM

ADM

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:45 pm

TravisT,

Tell us how are you going to tacle the job, or are you still looking for better solutions?

ADM

TravisT
Certs:
CCNA, Sec+

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:39 am

Sorry for the delayed update. My email has been down for a couple of days due to the move.

I have decided to go ahead and use the RJ-45 jacks pictured above on both ends of my in-wall runs. They are very easy to terminate (way faster to punch down than to get a good male RJ-45 crimp). I will have a multiple hole plate so I can run my cat5, coax, and phone lines to one double sized wall box and arrange them in the wall plates in any order that I like. Then I will just make patch cables to go from my equipment (cable modem, router, switch, server, voip, etc.) to the wall jack in the server closet and also patches from the wall to any client machines connected to the other end of the run.

I think this will be the cleanest and most professional looking job that can be left if I ever sell the house. I can unhook everything from the wall in the server closet and there will not be any wires or anything left to deal with. That is the plan, I will try to post some pictures of the finished product if anyone is interested. Give me a couple of days at least so I can get all of the cable pulling done.

Hope this makes some sense,

TravisT

Return to Home Networking