CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
Beginners_mind

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 am

I think Dean Just told someone to HTFU. Love it!

Dude we are so cut from the same cloth.

Ciscokid: it's all about priorities. What do you really want from life?

You have to let some things go in order to make room for new things in your life.

Studying to better myself and give myself opportunities for career advancement is a higher value activity than catching up on Dexter or playing Diablo 3 or whatever. I'm not a greedy man, but I like to do work that is challenging and engaging, and I like to be well compensated. Who wants to settle anyway?

What do you want ciscokid? what are you willing to do to go get it?

bests,

-b
"Certs: CCIE written but expire"

ciscokid243

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm

timhalo wrote:
ciscokid243 wrote:I have been studying off and on the last year thinking that I am going to take my CCNA exam soon. The problem is that I sit at computer all day and that's the last thing I want to do when I get home. I spent the last 3 years of my life basically doing the same thing. Although I wasn't in the IT field I would work 12 hours then come home and sit at my computer doing school work for hours.

So I ended up hearing some unsettling news today. Call it a wake up call.

So now my focus is to stop being a lazy @$$ and get my CCNA. I'm very afraid of getting burned out again. How much time should set aside each night to study. I am trying to come up with a plan so I don't fall off the wagon again...and again...and again...and again. I'm thinking of setting a certain amount of time aside for book reading and videos followed by labbing. I am just not sure how much time I should set aside.

"Hey, it just sounds to me like you need to unplug, man. You know, get some R and R."

Have you thought about studying before work? i.e. right after waking up & before everything else you've got to do that day... As for how much time, I'd stay it's: that amount of time for which you can sustain it day after day. I'd suggest start out at 2 hours a day & try building upon it.

That is a big negative on early morning study time. I get up in the morning before work and run on the tread mill and hit some weights. I suppose I could swap studying and exercising but I think would have an easier time understanding and retaining information if I wasn't half asleep. :)

ciscokid243

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 pm

deanwebb wrote:
ciscokid243 wrote:So now my focus is to stop being a lazy @$$ and get my CCNA. I'm very afraid of getting burned out again. How much time should set aside each night to study. I am trying to come up with a plan so I don't fall off the wagon again...and again...and again...and again. I'm thinking of setting a certain amount of time aside for book reading and videos followed by labbing. I am just not sure how much time I should set aside.

:naughty:

Google up a picture of Benjamin Franklin. Decide then and there that his portrait on the US $100 is your favorite picture, ever, and you want more of that picture.

You won't get rich in networking, but you ain't necessarily starving, either. You want to get that cert so you can GET PAID, know what I mean? I do have a passion for my field, but every two weeks, I get a fresh deposit of passion in my bank account, hear what I'm saying?

If you can't read books when you've been in front of a computer all day, then you don't have the guts to be a networker, my friend. You must also be saying that, at the end of the day, you're happy with right where you are and you have no goals or aspirations for the future other than getting a high score on a video game or seeing a few more really cool series finales on teevee.

Am I being harsh? Well, a kick in the butt is harsh, and, frankly, the above is less than a kick in the butt. But if you need a kick in your butt to get off your butt, then send me your address and a time that's convenient for you, and I will show up to kick you in the butt, free of charge.

Now get out there are get on your studying! MOVE IT, SOLDIER! THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAA!!!!

Soooo... get the cert so I can get paid but don't do it for the for money??? :thinking:

I absolutely have the guts to be a networker. I also have a heart, liver,kidneys and a colon. I should have at least a ccnp by now shouldn't I? :dance:

What started all of this was that my boss came in and asked if I would like to take a voluntary reduction in hours. The company is hurting and they are trying to get turned around but I need to to be looking out for number one. What happens in 6 months if it becomes not so voluntary. I have enough money saved up to make it for a little while if I did get layed off or reduced hours but with a house and a car payment it wouldn't take long to clean me out.

Anyways, enough of my pissing an moaning, I'm trying to come up with a schedule for studying. Something like hitting the books for 2 hours then labbing for two hours. Or hitting the books for 4 hours one day and labbing for 4 hours the next day. I'm just trying to get some ideas.

wintermute000
Post Whore

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:21 pm

No offence but if you have the guts that you say you do, then just go ahead and knock it over.

A CCNA should take you no longer than six months part time. Back when I did mine, it was 2x4 hour lessons a week for 10 weeks, so 10 weeks @ around 10 hours a week (a couple of hours extra reading on top of the lessons). If you couldn't manage that kind of workload over 3 years, then you just need to get a bit more motivated.....

ciscokid243

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:05 pm

wintermute000 wrote:No offence but if you have the guts that you say you do, then just go ahead and knock it over.

A CCNA should take you no longer than six months part time. Back when I did mine, it was 2x4 hour lessons a week for 10 weeks, so 10 weeks @ around 10 hours a week (a couple of hours extra reading on top of the lessons). If you couldn't manage that kind of workload over 3 years, then you just need to get a bit more motivated.....

I am officially offended. :boohoo:

The three years was just for going to school. I worked 12 hours rotating days and night shifts. The problem then wasn't motivation. I gave up more than any one could imagine to get my degree.

Now I work 8-5 so its easier...I just ended up getting too comfortable thinking I had some job security and I could take my time with the cert. I am thinking 2 hours of books and videos followed buy two hours of labbing. I should have it knocked out in no time.

Recundis
Certs:
CCENT, CCNA , MCP, CCNP R&S

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 am

I posted this in another thread however it is relevant to you ciscokid243

CCNA in 60 days (google it) I have used it and it works. (took 72 days for me simply due to the fact there is only 2 tests centres in Northern Ireland and 1 of them is useless)

To do it in that speed however you need a working background in networking and you need to stick to the study guide (2hrs a day for week days/working days) 4 hrs a day when you are off work.
CCNP

Cisco Certified Network Pirate

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 am

acronym of the day

BTBO
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

JRodgers
Certs:
CCNA R&S ,CCENT

Thu May 29, 2014 4:23 pm

CCNA R&S material and exam should take you no more than 6-8 months depending if you are doing say something like Network Academy , where you are stuck in a structured diary of when subjects are in your semester , also with it being 4 blocks and how compact it can be trying to fit in say the first exam and having at least the CCENT certification is sometimes a push if there is no break in between the semesters with some of the distance learning college or university's out there .

Also finding now that you have to now wait up to a month for vouchers from Cisco now to stop fraud, with some places handing out vouchers where they are not supposed to . Then there is the whole process on checking scores of the supposed closed book exam , but having watched a few people before taking those exams looking up the answers that can be found online , then leaving 20 minutes after the start of the exam where you have think it was either 1 hr 30 minutes or 2hrs to do the 50 or so questions when I did it . Tells you a lot about the person , then you find out later when they say use this site for revision and it turns out to be a brain dump site and that then calls into question all of their closed book exam marks and also if they have any other certifications on how they got them.

But if you know your material and being a little nervous on the day is just normal , also depending on when you like to test for me it is the afternoon , where I can get to my testing centre in plenty of time and not work through the rush hour traffic and also have a light breakfast and a short revision of material before going in. There is also no point in trying to learn anything new , if you have no learned it already then , you are not wanting to be doing it the day of the exam.

Get there giving yourself plenty of time , because you will not be the only person testing that day and there could be a queue to get signed in , if you can get a small drink of water to stop your mouth drying out and go to the bathroom before you start , don't want to be wanting to go when you are testing. Also if there is too much noise stop and go let the Procter know and they will either fix it or stop it if you feel it is too much . But most of all enjoy the test day , you are just there to say to a company like Cisco that I can do what you ask in the exam for the certification.

ggnf000

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:02 pm

I am planning to take CCNA in a few weeks. Am I allowed to bring paper or pencil or any note taking instrument? I might needed it for some question related to calculation i.e. subnet/ IP/mask/VLSM works. Can anyone provide me info on whether those are allowed? Thanks!

EOS
Certs:
Yes..

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:12 pm

You cannot bring any of that in with you.

The test center provides a white board and erasable markers for you to write on. And they promptly take it from you when the exam is over.

Good luck!!!

JRodgers
Certs:
CCNA R&S ,CCENT

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Yo might want to ask for 2 of those white boards and use one for like a cheat sheet of things like subnet masks from say /16 to /30 while you see the practice questions to show you the type of questions . also might want to put up the powers of 2 also say up to 2 power of 14 and that way you can workout how many networks of host out. Then you have the second board to do your workings and you are then able to erase them.

ggnf000

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks guys, whiteboard with erasable marker is more than i need. :)

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:38 am

ggnf000 wrote:Thanks guys, whiteboard with erasable marker is more than i need. :)

Really?

Then up the level of challenge to Hardcore. Take EITHER the whiteboard OR the marker.
Or try God mode. No whiteboard, no marker, and you let the force flow through you to answer questions without actually reading them. After you pass, use a Jedi Mind Trick to convince the Cisco police that you're not the anomalous test-taker they're looking for. 8)

Seriously, you're right. For the CCNA tests, being able to walk in and then write down some notes at the start of the test is a good thing to be able to do. You might need to use them, but you definitely get a nice confidence boost when you see that you can remember and recall all that stuff.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

Fred
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:47 pm

First, I *love* that this is still sticky after my original post in 2008.

I'm going to make one additional suggestion: Start talking to your management early about paying for your tests. With individual tests costs $250 per attempt, it can be a lot of money for an individual, but shouldn't be much for a company that uses Cisco equipment. Given that it's pretty much a boom market for anybody with Cisco skills, this is the time to have those conversations. It can be sold as a win-win: the company gets better trained employees who are able to do their jobs better and who they can market, and the employee increases their marketability.

My suggestion, if you're approaching management, is to make it a 'fail one, pass one' deal. They should pay for the test, and if you fail the first time, which encourages you to take it early, they should pay for it a second time. If you fail a second time, you're on you're own (possibly with even a requirement to pass within x months). I also encourage a reciprocal arrangement where you would be held responsible for those costs if you leave the company within 6 or 12 months. Make sure you sell the idea that it's good for the company. If you can wrap Cisco partner benefits into it, all the better.

This goes along with my other advice, which is to retake the test shortly after your first attempt if you should fail. The questions are fresh in your mind and you'll find the second time much easier.

One last thing: I just recently renewed my CCNP/CCDP by taking the TSHOOT exam (I chickened out and took the old exam, sadly). If you're a CCNP who's been doing this for long enough, that test is pretty easy to pass. They'll throw some tricky things at you, but if you look for differences in the configs--and you are allowed to hop back and forth between tickets which will have different configurations--you can spot the differences and answer the questions correctly.

mehimu

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:04 am

I am thinking to sit for CCNA certification exam with in a couple of month. Soo i think that this discussion will help me, when i start my practice.
Himadri

mursalqaiser
Certs:
no

Thu May 14, 2015 1:36 am

Hi! Greetings,

Hope you get this email in your best of health. I would like to inform you that we are dealing with CCNA (R & S) & CCNA security discounted vouchers. By using these discounted vouchers you can reduce CCNA (200-120) examination fees to the extent of 58% and can save a good deal of amount.

Advantage of CCNA discounted voucher is below:

· CCNA (200-120) Total exam cost is US $295.

· If you use discounted voucher you will get a relief of 58% if you convert this 58% into dollar then its value will be $171.

· By purchasing discounted voucher the total examination cost will be US $124. (Means $295 - $171 = $124).

· This remaining $124 you will pay to any Cisco exam center to register your exam.

· The cost of discounted voucher is only $58. The total amount you have to pay is $124+$58(cost of discounted voucher) = $182 instead of $295 & you will save $113.

The benefit is that you will save $113 by paying only $58 the cost of voucher. I hope you have understood the benefits of purchasing of discounted voucher.

Requirement of CCNA Discounted Voucher:

Special discount of 58% for Worldwide, with six months expiry date till you purchase.

Details required for CCNA discounted voucher are below:

1- Full Name. 1st Name & Last Name (as your name written in your National Identity card

2- Country.

3- City.

4- State.

5- Pin Code (or Area Code)

6- Residential Address (or where you can collect your Certificate or further correspondence can be received)

7- Date of Birth

Note: Full name should be correct.

Method of payment:

You can transfer the money through Western union.

Regards,
Muhammad Mursal

Belcher
Certs:
None

Tue May 26, 2015 12:03 am

Fred wrote:Another thread made me think of general certification test-taking advice, so I thought I'd start one.

With the exception of the CCIE written, Cisco tests are approximately 60 questions in 90 minutes.

This means you have about 1:30 to answer each question. Questions such as simulations, simlets, and those '4-part' questions count as a single question, but are obviously going to take longer. So budget accordingly.

I tend to check my progress at 30 minute intervals. At 30 minutes, I should be at about 20 questions, at 60 minutes, I should be at about 40 questions. You kind of have to weigh this against how many simulations/multipart questions you've seen. They're presented in random order, so you could get all the multiparts at the end.

If you can get into the habit (I can't), you should read the answers from the bottom up. Cisco likes to throw some "almost right" answers toward the top, and some "exactly right" answers toward the bottom. If you read top down, this can slow you down.

Also, in case you haven't heard it, during the initial survey you have about 15 minutes of test time when you're allowed to be writing on your erasable board. For the CCNA tests, this is a good time to make a subnetting chart. This will save you time and increase your accuracy on a number of questions. There are a number of websites that will teach you how to make the chart... Find one that you understand. This doesn't seem necessary for the CCNP tests. It's also a good time to write down anything you have trouble remembering: acronyms, lsa types, default values, etc. You're more likely to remember them when you're not "on the spot" in a particular question.

Any other general or cisco-specific test taking advice?

That is a wonderful post by you here. I really admire your advice here because most of us including me does not have some basics in mind about CISCO which you have cleared to us.

writeerase
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE CCNP-S CCDA MCSE RHCT Sec+ A+

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:46 pm

For the CCIE R&S written it's just multiple-guess and drag-n-drop so feel free to go as fast as you're comfortable reading. The real trick for that test is attention to detail since there will be some very close answers that really require you to have a deep understanding of how the protocols are working under the covers at times.

For the pro and assc level exams I'd always write out the subnet chart before starting the test so I could save time for the simulations. Often I would dump other stuff onto the dry erase board like formulas, QoS DSCP reminders, BGP best path mnemonics, etc... ahead of clicking "start exam."

Belcher
Certs:
None

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:41 am

I have read the whole thread and actually very inspired by your content. Thanks for sharing.

gas grill reviews
best baby stroller

shubhamkumarhcl
Certs:
CCNA Certitifed

Cisco Test-Taking Notes

Sun May 08, 2016 6:59 am

Best Cisco CCNA CCNP Notes

https://ccnaccnplinux.blogspot.in

{Visit The Blog)

PreviousNext

Return to Cisco Certifications