CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
Retired Account
Post Whore
Posts:
3512
Joined:
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Yep... since it's pretty new... looks like there isn't any yet. You're going to have to do some Googling if you want it now, or work on something else till the SP books come out.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/42511

turgenjev1
New Member
Posts:
2
Joined:
Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:15 am
Certs:
CCNA

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:18 am

Get a good night rest. Eat well before taking an exam. Study hard and have a good luck :-).
http://signum-soft.com - keylogger software

Deko
New Member
Posts:
8
Joined:
Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:23 am

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 am

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and I am planning to take the Cisco CCNA exam in 10days or something.

I have a computer science degree and I have been studying for the CCNA exam for 2 years or something. (Yes, I know it is long, but Since I am self-studying for the exam and I had University exams at some point, I had to postpone and postpone and postpone).

Okay, so I started seriously studying for the exam by watching the official CCNA videos @ CbtNuggets.

I am almost done with ICND 2 and I feel ready to be honest.

I need an advice for the Questions on the exam. I have asked a lot of people who passed the exam recently and they all told me to learn the question dumps all day and all night because the questions on the exam are basically the same with changed schedules or god knows what.

Other than that, a friend who passed the exam last week informed me that he got ACL's (both standard and exteneded), NAT and EIGRP configuration simulations on the exam.

If you know what else may I get on the exam - please answer.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks.

User avatar
timhalo
Senior Member
Posts:
436
Joined:
Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 pm
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm

I have asked a lot of people who passed the exam recently and they all told me to learn the question dumps all day and all night

Cheating trivializes the accomplishment. Best to avoid that.

For test taking, besides the OCG/FLG, consider....

- the FAQ(s) on Cisco's website. Many of the techs have them...e.g. for EIGRP, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/t ... dac4.shtml (do a google: site:cisco.com <technology> FAQ)

- The Config guides... top level http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6 ... _list.html . They're written in 'technical manual' style. If short on time, then speed read, bypassing tables (but not necessarily the config steps). It's the descriptive paragraphs where you can glean some good info. Sometimes the Command Reference too... http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6 ... _list.html

User avatar
G1lgam3sh
Senior Member
Posts:
328
Joined:
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Deko wrote:I need an advice for the Questions on the exam. I have asked a lot of people who passed the exam recently and they all told me to learn the question dumps all day and all night because the questions on the exam are basically the same with changed schedules or god knows what.


Cheating on the exam is always a bad idea. Think if you were taking a College class and asked your professor or future employer if it was a good idea to cheat on the final exam?
Link to all of your hopes and dreams:

http://www.networking-forums.com/

Deko
New Member
Posts:
8
Joined:
Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:23 am

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 am

Yep, You guys are right.

Gonna study them.


Thanks for the answers and wish me good luck :)

User avatar
deanwebb
Post Whore
Posts:
3259
Joined:
Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 pm
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 am

Getting the practice tests from Cisco is an excellent prep move. You pay some for them, but they are very nice to have.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

BinaryData
New Member
Posts:
7
Joined:
Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm
Certs:
A+

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:57 pm

I haven't had time to read this entire topic, I've gained a few points, i.e.;

- Eat a good meal, not to the brink of popping.
- Drink a glass of water
- GOOD nights rest is totally needed
- Quick Review of Notes before the exam. (Subnetting, etc..)

What I'd like to know is, does it cover EVERYTHING, including the History of Cisco & how the internet, came to be? Cause I ignored almost all of it. One of the main reasons why I don't like the netacad class. It didn't give you any real life scenarios, or it gave you a bunch of useless history lessons that you wouldn't need to know.


I'm stressing over this, I have 3 weeks left before I graduate & leave school. After that, I'm on my own dime, and I'm not looking forward to that. Any information would be helpful. I stated in another topic, that I ordered the Official Cisco 100-101 book, by Wendell Odom.

User avatar
hizzo3
Member
Posts:
170
Joined:
Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 pm
Certs:
What's a cert? - None, yet.

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:53 pm

BinaryData wrote:What I'd like to know is, does it cover EVERYTHING, including the History of Cisco & how the internet, came to be? Cause I ignored almost all of it.


I haven't taken the test yet... But as all things computer... Sometimes you will encounter old things... Sometimes the history explains why it is what it is today... If you don't encounter something on the test, doesn't mean you might not in real life... Ultimately, if its taught... Its taught for a reason. You can't just focus on the current and future.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

User avatar
G1lgam3sh
Senior Member
Posts:
328
Joined:
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:15 am

BinaryData wrote:I haven't had time to read this entire topic, I've gained a few points, i.e.;

- Eat a good meal, not to the brink of popping.
- Drink a glass of water
- GOOD nights rest is totally needed
- Quick Review of Notes before the exam. (Subnetting, etc..)

What I'd like to know is, does it cover EVERYTHING, including the History of Cisco & how the internet, came to be? Cause I ignored almost all of it. One of the main reasons why I don't like the netacad class. It didn't give you any real life scenarios, or it gave you a bunch of useless history lessons that you wouldn't need to know.


I'm stressing over this, I have 3 weeks left before I graduate & leave school. After that, I'm on my own dime, and I'm not looking forward to that. Any information would be helpful. I stated in another topic, that I ordered the Official Cisco 100-101 book, by Wendell Odom.


Cisco has the exam blueprint on their website. The topics all stay relevant to the technologies and include a lot of simulation style questions. They don't trick you on anything, they just test the material they say they will test you on.
Link to all of your hopes and dreams:

http://www.networking-forums.com/

User avatar
williamtyrell78
Post Whore
Posts:
1388
Joined:
Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm
Certs:
CompTIA Net+, CCENT, CCNA R&S

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 pm

1) One thing is, just chill out.

Most people get so anxious. You have 15 minutes prep time, Sit down, go through the 9 different types of questions, go through it again, sit down, deep breaths, relax.

2) Don't study the night before, get to bed early, and cram the day of (if you feel need to).
3) Watch/read your materials the whole way through (2 times at least)
4) IF you can get a room by yourself (DO IT) [I love reading questions out loud, they make so much more sense to me, and you can work your way through problems when speaking out loud]
"I can't have a network loop, I have Spanning-Tree" ....famous last words

Retired Account
Post Whore
Posts:
3512
Joined:
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 pm

5) Sex.

User avatar
hizzo3
Member
Posts:
170
Joined:
Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 pm
Certs:
What's a cert? - None, yet.

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:27 am

Steven King wrote:5) Sex.

First time I've seen that in a study guide. I'll have to try it on the gf and see if it works.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Retired Account
Post Whore
Posts:
3512
Joined:
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 am

hizzo3 wrote:
Steven King wrote:5) Sex.

First time I've seen that in a study guide. I'll have to try it on the gf and see if it works.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.


Win or lose, you walk away with a smile.

User avatar
3-KlickS
New Member
Posts:
5
Joined:
Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:33 am
Certs:
None.......yet!

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:37 pm

5) Sex

I have to give credit to Steven King and support on this suggestion. I personally have not taken any test yet as I'm still trying to build a home lab but I can see alot of advantages from it.
Think about in the context of your personal life first. For example, when you get worked up and/or "in the mood" you rush through you responsibilities, leave things half ass done, or just skip them entirely. What's on your mind is getting to it and/or playing out how you'll initiate and/or what you'll do while having sexil. No one can deny not doing this, it's human nature, and we loose our train of thought and everything we are trying to retain mentally, no matter the objective, goes out the window. When the act is done, what happens to us? We "magically " return to reality and everything comes into focus again. We have a clear mindset and line of focus.
With that said it may very well help you focus with almost no doubt in your ability to make an intelligent and confident answer on your exam. Aahh <sigh> , human nature is always intriguing and it's abilities so surprising. It's crazy how sex can help can be incorporated into pre-exam preporation. It wouldn't have crossed my mind.
Credit to you Steven King for bringing it to everyones attention. I too will "try it with the girlfriend"- hizzo3 :-D

From my Galaxxxy S4
One's true colors are not defined just by there actions or words, but the intentions behind One's actions!!!

User avatar
deanwebb
Post Whore
Posts:
3259
Joined:
Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 pm
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

Yes, but don't consider that sex is a must-have. Last thing anyone here wants to see is a news story about how some guy went crazy on a test administrator right after taking the photo, with the perp saying, "But Networking-forum.com said I HAD TO DO IT! That was my last chance before going into the test room!"
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

Retired Account
Post Whore
Posts:
3512
Joined:
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:29 am

deanwebb wrote:Yes, but don't consider that sex is a must-have. Last thing anyone here wants to see is a news story about how some guy went crazy on a test administrator right after taking the photo, with the perp saying, "But Networking-forum.com said I HAD TO DO IT! That was my last chance before going into the test room!"


Haha - that's awesome. :)

User avatar
ciscokid243
New Member
Posts:
35
Joined:
Thu May 08, 2008 8:48 pm

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:08 pm

I have been studying off and on the last year thinking that I am going to take my CCNA exam soon. The problem is that I sit at computer all day and that's the last thing I want to do when I get home. I spent the last 3 years of my life basically doing the same thing. Although I wasn't in the IT field I would work 12 hours then come home and sit at my computer doing school work for hours.

So I ended up hearing some unsettling news today. Call it a wake up call.

So now my focus is to stop being a lazy @$$ and get my CCNA. I'm very afraid of getting burned out again. How much time should set aside each night to study. I am trying to come up with a plan so I don't fall off the wagon again...and again...and again...and again. I'm thinking of setting a certain amount of time aside for book reading and videos followed by labbing. I am just not sure how much time I should set aside.

User avatar
timhalo
Senior Member
Posts:
436
Joined:
Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 pm
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 am

ciscokid243 wrote:I have been studying off and on the last year thinking that I am going to take my CCNA exam soon. The problem is that I sit at computer all day and that's the last thing I want to do when I get home. I spent the last 3 years of my life basically doing the same thing. Although I wasn't in the IT field I would work 12 hours then come home and sit at my computer doing school work for hours.

So I ended up hearing some unsettling news today. Call it a wake up call.

So now my focus is to stop being a lazy @$$ and get my CCNA. I'm very afraid of getting burned out again. How much time should set aside each night to study. I am trying to come up with a plan so I don't fall off the wagon again...and again...and again...and again. I'm thinking of setting a certain amount of time aside for book reading and videos followed by labbing. I am just not sure how much time I should set aside.


"Hey, it just sounds to me like you need to unplug, man. You know, get some R and R."

Have you thought about studying before work? i.e. right after waking up & before everything else you've got to do that day... As for how much time, I'd stay it's: that amount of time for which you can sustain it day after day. I'd suggest start out at 2 hours a day & try building upon it.

User avatar
deanwebb
Post Whore
Posts:
3259
Joined:
Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 pm
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:57 am

ciscokid243 wrote:So now my focus is to stop being a lazy @$$ and get my CCNA. I'm very afraid of getting burned out again. How much time should set aside each night to study. I am trying to come up with a plan so I don't fall off the wagon again...and again...and again...and again. I'm thinking of setting a certain amount of time aside for book reading and videos followed by labbing. I am just not sure how much time I should set aside.


:naughty:

Google up a picture of Benjamin Franklin. Decide then and there that his portrait on the US $100 is your favorite picture, ever, and you want more of that picture.

You won't get rich in networking, but you ain't necessarily starving, either. You want to get that cert so you can GET PAID, know what I mean? I do have a passion for my field, but every two weeks, I get a fresh deposit of passion in my bank account, hear what I'm saying?

If you can't read books when you've been in front of a computer all day, then you don't have the guts to be a networker, my friend. You must also be saying that, at the end of the day, you're happy with right where you are and you have no goals or aspirations for the future other than getting a high score on a video game or seeing a few more really cool series finales on teevee.

Am I being harsh? Well, a kick in the butt is harsh, and, frankly, the above is less than a kick in the butt. But if you need a kick in your butt to get off your butt, then send me your address and a time that's convenient for you, and I will show up to kick you in the butt, free of charge.

Now get out there are get on your studying! MOVE IT, SOLDIER! THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAA!!!!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Cisco Certifications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests