CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
Adrian Devder

Networking Pathway (I'm a bit confused)

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:41 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to the networking world. I am currently studying for a CCNA through a video course from CBT Nuggets. I also wanted to purchase a book that would maybe cover some of the missing aspects from the course (if there are any) I got some recommendations such as:

1. Cisco CCNA Routing + Switching 200-120: Official Cert Guide Library by Wendell Odom
2. TCP/IP ILLUSTRATED: THE PROTOCOL, VOLUME 1, 2ND EDITION by Richard Stevens
3. CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide by Todd Lammie
4. Network Warrior by Gary A. Donahue

I was going to go with the Cisco recommended one but asked a friend who is now working in some security information company. The response I got from him was very surprising and made me worry a bit. He told me that he does not recommend learning networking from Cisco because "they do stuff that don;t make sense anymore". He also said that in networking knowing all the protocols and how they work is more important than actually knowing how to configure devices because "you can find how to do that on google". He recommended the second book in the list above, plus mentioned that CCNA is not worth much, it's the minimum and one won't learn much from networking from it.

This got me a bit confused and worried because I started wondering whether I'm on the right path. Personally I don't agree with most of what my friend said but my knowledge is limited. I'm sorry if this is becoming too long. I just wanted the opinion of more people, possibly with more expertise and experience.

Thank You in advance

Return to Cisco Certifications